Ranger’s House is an elegant Georgian villa in Greenwich Park which houses The Wernher Collection.
Speak to our venue team, to request more information.
0845 688 4410
Ranger’s House is an elegant Georgian villa in Greenwich Park which houses The Wernher Collection, a remarkable collection of works of art amassed by diamond magnate Sir Julius Wernher (1850-1912).
Arranged within the panelled interiors of this graceful mansion is a glittering spectacle – a sumptuous arrangement of silver and jewels, paintings and porcelain.
Nearly 700 works of art are on display, including early religious paintings and Dutch Old Masters, tiny carved Gothic ivories, fine Renaissance bronzes and silver treasures revealing the genius of medieval craftsmen and the unparalleled quality of Renaissance decorative arts.
Rangers House has two event spaces; the largest can hold a maximum of 80 guests, the smallest is ideal for 60.
Ranger’s House was built circa 1700 by Captain Francis Hosier (1673-1727) who occupied the house from 1700-1727. He had made his fortune through trade at sea and both the ship he served on as a lieutenant and his own ship were called the Neptune.
Over the next century Ranger’s House was owned by a number of wealthy individuals until in the early 19th century it became the residence of Princess Sophia Mathilda of Gloucester.
The London County Council acquired the house in 1897, and restored it. In the 20th century it became a council sports and social club and was later used to display collections of musical instruments and Jacobean portraits.