Organisers have come to prefer smaller venues, and shorter events, shying away from multi-purpose venues and purpose-built convention centres. The survey found that this could be down to changes in the types of events being held. AGMs are decreasing, with companies hosting more management meetings, conferences, communication and training events.
The Headline Statistics:
• The mean number of attendees at associations’ main annual conference dropped from 418 to 380. The mean number of attendees at corporates’ main event dropped from 345 to 330.
• The preferred venues for both corporates (37 per cent) and associations (25 per cent) were city centre hotels.
• The average budgeted daily delegate rates dropped from £47.40 to £42.50 for associations; and from £58.90 to £54.50 for corporates.
• The top UK destinations for events were (in order) London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Bristol.
• Preferred booking incentives were added value items within agreed costs, followed by discounts on multiple bookings.
• 25 per cent of association buyers organised events overseas, preferring France, Italy and Germany short-haul, USA, Dubai, China and Hong Kong long-haul.
• 45 per cent of corporate buyers organised events overseas, preferring Spain, France and Germany short haul; USA, Dubai, China and Hong Kong long-haul.
• 46 per cent of association buyers and 42 per cent of corporate buyers felt that current economic policy was having a negative effect on their organisation’s activities.
• 72 per cent of association buyers and 70 per cent of corporates did not attend a trade show
• 71 per cent of association buyers and 68 per cent of corporates think networking is the most important aspect of attending events.
• Anticipated change in budget for the next 12 months: associations + 0.6 per cent; corporates + 0.8 per cent
The British Meetings & Events Industry Survey provides an in-depth study of the buying trends of 632 UK-based event organisers. Results are based on online completions and telephone interviews. To view the survey’s findings in full visit www.meetpie.com/bmei
If you would like any more information on holding an event at any of our prestigious venues including the Mermaid Conference and Events Centre (pictured) please contact us on 0845 688 4410 or email us.